Wednesday, December 19, 2012

almond milk, oh, glorious almond milk...


Let me introduce you to homemade almond milk:


Let me also introduce you to this glorious pitcher that I purchased for $2 at our local thrift store! I'm in love.

I swear it's one of the easiest things you'll ever make.

It's yummy.

It's cheap.

It's so much healthier than dairy.

And it's organic.

Why do I make my own almond milk? For starters, I try to live my life as healthy as possible. To me, and everyone is different, this means choosing organic options when available, living toxin free (to the best of my ability), eating vegetarian meals 4-5 days a week and making exercise a priority. I also like to save money and to live a simple life....to which I'm convinced, is one of the keys of happiness.

Now let's move on to the recipe...

Almond Milk

1 cup Organic Almonds (unpasturized is best, I purchase mine at our local Organic Co-op)
4 cups Water (I use filtered)
1/8 cup (or less) Local Honey (read this)

Combine almonds and 4 cups of water in a glass dish and allow to soak for 12-24 hours. Don't use a plastic dish to soak the almonds (due to toxins in the plastic) and metal can leave it with a funny taste. After the almonds have finished soaking, place the almonds and water mixture in a blender and add honey. Blend for 15 seconds on low, then 1 minute 30 seconds on high.

You now have a nice beautiful almond milk sitting in your blender. Easy, huh?

Here's a tip... you don't have to use the honey. We only do this occasionally as it adds a good bit of yummy sweetness to the milk. However, if you like the taste of almonds, then you're probably going to enjoy the succulent combination of almonds and water!

Also, unless you want pureed almonds in your milk (and some people do), then you need to strain it. I make almond milk enough that I justified spending $7.99 on a nut milk bag....and truly, I love it! If you want another alternative, just strain the milk through several layers of cheesecloth. The biggest downside to using cheesecloth is that it can only be used once or twice for straining almond milk before it has to be thrown away. The second biggest reason is, well, it just takes so blasted long to strain! :(

I save all of the remaining almond pulp in a container in the freezer and use it to make things like cookies, macaroons, granola and breads.

So what can you use your almond milk for besides thirst quenching? Pretty much everything! I use almond milk at a 1:1 ratio, interchangeably, in recipes that call for dairy. I've never had a problem using it in a dish or baked item where dairy is requested (I use it in our bread each week), and it's extremely hard to tell a difference in the taste once the item is cooked! These days, the only thing that we use dairy for is to make butter (and oh, oohhhhhhhh, homemade butter is nothing short of amazing....I feel a blog post coming on).

All in all, you will probably spend less than $1.50 on fresh, organic almond milk. Goodbye, store bought sugar filled (most likely fake) almond milk. Hello, healthiness (or should that be "happiness"?).

:: manda



2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try this!! Great blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it, you'll just love it! I've been making my own almond milk since March and have had no regrets! I've also noticed that my nails & hair have become much stronger, which I can only attribute to drinking almond milk (gotta love some Vitamin E!). And thank you so much about the blog compliment, it's great encouragement to me! :)

      Delete