Thursday, April 11, 2013

smooth like butta, baby!

It is 2013.

You do not have to adorn yourself in sackcloth (which frankly, I think is kinda cool) and use a butter churner (which frankly, I kinda want) to make delicious butter. 

It may come as a shock to you, 
but I do not look like this when I make butter:


My wonderful, amazing, not-sure-how-to-live-without KitchenAide Mixer makes my butter for me with little effort. 

Therefore, I look like this:
Making my butter in leggings and a tee. Sackcloth free.
I still wouldn't mind some sackcloth though...

There are many days that I long for our culture to be filled with hard work and living simple, and honestly find myself envying people like the woman pictured above. I know removing myself from our technology crazed, life of convenience culture isn't entirely possible (I mean, I do love my iPhone), but I can instill the values of hard work and simple living in myself and my family.

Making your own butter is healthier, less expensive, and tastes 1,000,000 times better than the store bought I-hope-this-came-from-a-real-cow stuff. 

So, in order to feed my inner sackcloth wearing woman----I make butter.

And it's good. 

Really good. 

You should make it too. 

To get started, you need heavy whipping cream. Our lady friend pictured above used raw milk from the cows she most likely owned. Due to USDA laws, it's illegal to sell raw milk (for human consumption) in Alabama. However, our beautiful state is very fortunate to have Working Cows Dairy, an organic dairy farm. What I like best about this farm is that they keep their milk as close to the raw state as legally possible. And thanks to their high standards, you're getting milk that is actually good for you, unlike the traditional store-bought chemically laden "milk". 

Why my dislike for processed milk? Here's a few good recourses...
What processing milk actually does to milk
Also, check out the documentary Farmageddon

Done with the milk informational overload? Ready to make some butter? I am! 

What you need (get ready, it's a super long list):
Heavy Whipping Cream
Stand Mixer

Place your heavy whipping cream in the bowl of your stand mixer. You may want to play around with the amount you mix, I fill my mixer bowl a little less than halfway which is the equivalent to roughly 1 quart. Feel free to make more than this if you wish, you just might possibly be mopping your kitchen floor afterwards.....it can get messy.....you have been warned.

1 quart of Heavy Whipping Cream ecstatically waiting to become butter!
Or is it me that is ecstatically waiting to eat the butter? 

Using the paddle attachment on your mixer, start mixing your heavy whipping cream on either a low or medium setting. The higher the setting the faster the butter is made. When I use the lowest setting, butter can take upwards of 20 minutes; using a medium setting usually creates butter in 5-10 minutes.

So, turn that sucker on, cover it with a cloth to keep milk from splashing out, and go do something else.

What the butter looks like about halfway through, starting to resemble whipping cream.
Might I add that I usually stop my mixer during the whipping cream stage and eat a small spoonful? Don't judge.
I also should add that you shouldn't stop your mixer while making butter,
it's just that the whipping cream craving is too great for me...

Next step: Listen for your butter to "crack".

CRACK!?! 

Yep, crack. "Cracking" happens when the butter and the milk separate from one another. You'll be able to hear this as it will sound as if something solid is being sloshed around in liquid in your mixer bowl.

This is what "cracking" will look like...

butta!

After cracking, if your butter doesn't taste "buttery" enough let it mix for another minute or so. Repeat this step as needed.

Once you have it to your liking, grab a handful of butter and gently squeeze out the excess milk. Your goal is to remove all the excess milk from the butter as it will cause your butter to spoil rather quickly.

And you don't want that.

You will never see my fingernails look this good again in a blog post. I just got married (!!!), and of course
had my nails done. 

After you've squeezed out the milk, gently massage the butter under cold running water. This will get that last little bit of milk out. You can also do this in a bowl of ice-water as well, either way works great.

Just like chicken, when "juices run clear", you're done.


That's it---you have yummy delicious butter!

Your yummy delicious butter will keep in the refrigerator for 5 days and in the freezer for 6 months. The more milk you remove from the butter the longer it will last.

I usually divide my butter into either 1/4 c or 1/2 c chunks and place in a plastic storage tub in the freezer. When you pre measure your butter, it's much easier when using for baking and cooking purposes. I learned this the hard way. My husband may or may not have cut his hand trying to chop a massive ball of butter in half. Sorry, sweets. 

All washed and squeaky clean!
This is just 1/4 of what my half gallon of whipping cream will make. 

You will notice that you have a large amount of milk remaining in your mixer bowl. Do NOT throw this away---it's buttermilk! You now have an excuse to make buttermilk biscuits, or pancakes, or muffins, or, or,.... just, don't throw it away.

Buttermilk! Who would have realized all the amazing things that come from heavy whipping cream!

A little side note.... you can also make butter in a canning jar as well, just add the heavy whipping cream and shake away! It's a great project for yours (or someone else's) little ones. I've also heard that it improves the butter quality if you shake and dance all while listening to this:



See? It helped, didn't it? 

6 comments:

  1. I've recently made my own yogurt, handsoap, laundry detergent and cheese. I NEED to try this!! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taste is absolutely amazing, you will just love it! Plus, it's so very easy...which is always a HUGE bonus! Enjoy! :)

      Delete
  2. So that's where buttermilk comes from! I knew that if you whipped whipping cream for too long it would turn to butter, but I never actually let it happen. Perhaps I should. Looks great. P.S. I found you through Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! You should try it, I promise that it becomes addicting. :) The buttermilk that I get from making my homemade butter, in my opinion, works so much better in baking than the stuff I used to get from the store. And I LOVE Frugally Sustainable, one of my very favorite blogs, thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Just like Nicole, I also found you through Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways. Have to try this!!! Really do! Never cared for the smell of unsalted butter from the grocery store and suspect it's because it does not sell as well as the salted variety so it old. Thank you for this blog. Off to make some butter and use it for baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, I just LOVE Frugally Sustainable! I promise that you will not be disappointed with the homemade butter...I have found that it makes my baked goods turn out so much better than using the traditional store bought butter! I'm so glad you enjoyed the blog! And happy baking!

      Delete